22,000 girls under the age of 9 are out of school in KP’s Shangla

More than 550 girls, under the age of 9 years, are out of school in Pakhtunkhwa’s Shangla. According to the sources in the district education department, the girl children are forced to quit their education halfway due to multiple reasons, including the absence of schools, early marriages, and unaffordability.

According to rough estimates, some 22,564 girls lying between the ages of 4 and 9 years are out of school in the district.

“I wanted to get an education and become a doctor, but it seems my dream would not come true because, after promotion to grade 6th, I could not continue my studies due to the absence of school in our village”

12 years old Samreen said while speaking to DAWN.

Samreen is not the only girl who has faced the ordeal. In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s conservative district, there are over 550 young girls who have been forced to quit education owing to multiple reasons.

Samreen added that ten of her classmates also had to quit their education because they could not afford the transportation costs and hence did not get admission in distant middle school.

As per the statistics of the district education department, 3,828 girls are currently enrolled in secondary schools and 2,505 in primary schools.

According to the available records, the district has 176 primary schools and 34 middle, high and higher secondary schools. 22,564 girls, who are aged between 5 years to 9 years, are currently out of school in KP’s Shangla district. The yearly dropout rate at the primary level stands at a stark 519 and for upper classes, it stood at 139.

“As a priority, we have allocated 70 percent of the budget for girls education and the rest 30 percent for boys,” KP information minister Shaukat Yousafzai said. He added that out of school children will be accommodated back in private schools under public-private partnership policy

What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments bar below.

Access Our Exclusive Archives of

Weekly news and tips for cozy lifestyle

thank you, I’m already subscribed!

Follow Us On Instagram